I've been enjoying the sunshine blog posts by people in my PLN. I found myself being tagged by two amazing people-Dana Ariss and Tanis Thiessen! Unfortunately, that means most bloggers I know and follow have been tagged already so I am going to share 11 things about myself and answering both sets of questions. I won't tag anyone but will invite people who haven't been nominated yet to jump on board. So if you are reading this and haven't been nominated yet, then tag your it and consider this your nomination. Just answer my questions and list 11 bloggers to answer your questions.
Here is how it works:
Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
Share 11 random facts about yourself.
Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve some recognition and a little blogging love!
Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.
Note: I won't be doing number 4.
My Nominating Bloggers
My first nominating blogger is the amazing Dana Ariss. We “met” on Twitter last school year and we've been connecting our classes ever since. I am so glad to have met Dana as she has helped my technology passion survive in a place where it is hard to thrive. I will always be grateful for her willingness to join me and my class on our crazy wild adventures in learning! Thanks Dana.
My second nominating blogger is Tanis Thiessen. I first "met" Tanis in September when I started tweeting out the idea for a Manitoba Edchat. Tanis was more than eager to help with the start of up what is now #mbedchat. Thank you for being an inspiration and for your dedication to #mbedchat.
11 Random Facts About Me
1. My three passions are teaching, travelling, and technology. I am the most happy when using technology to teach and when travelling in my time off.
2. I’m an introvert. Sometimes people mistake me for being a snob but, I just truly don't like big crowds and I am shy.
3. I love trying food from different countries.
4. I have only every had three jobs. 1. KFC-Tacobell worker 2. Cashier at Sobeys. 3. Primary teacher at the same school since I started teaching right out of university.
5. I love taking pictures on my trips but, I am not a good photographer.
6. Twitter has helped me keep my passion for teaching alive.
7. I love Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte.
8. I am half Canadian and half Australian.
9. I love travelling to big cities but I could never live in one.
10. My favourite band and artists are always changing. I am currently loving: Imagine Dragons, Capital Cities, Justin Timberlake and Serena Ryder.
11. I hate hot weather which can cause trouble when travelling in Europe during the summer.
11 Questions For Me From Dana
1. Why teaching?
Until I was in grade 3 I wanted to be a teacher but then I had a bad experience with my grade 3 teacher that deterred me from wanting to teach for awhile. Although before wanting to be a teacher again I still wanted to work with teachers. My father, a retired teacher, inspired me to want to be a teacher again.
2. Who or what is your greatest inspiration?
My father is my greatest inspiration. He taught a program called Student Support Program. When I was in grade 10 he became depressed due to the stress of his job and never fully returned to teaching. Later on, I asked him despite the stress that his job caused if he would do the same thing all over again. He didn't think for more than a second before saying yes. To me that showed a love and dedication to what he did. I have a friend who teaches something similar to what he did and despite their "war" stories of the job it was obvious the passion that they both had. This passion helps me survive when I am stressed out.
3. What is one new thing you have tried this year?
I started using Google Apps for Education to further the connections my students are making.
4. What would your ideal day look like?
My ideal day would be a day spent with friends or by myself exploring wherever I was travelling and then curling up with a good book at night time.
5. Who was the best teacher you ever had and why?
I think my favourite teacher would have to be Mr. Bartlette who I had for grade 9 and 10 English. His passion for his job was quite evident.
6. If you could live anywhere in the world other than where you currently live, where would it be?
I really don't know as I love travelling exploring European cities but I don't like big places for long. Maybe London?
7. What is something you are looking forward to in 2014?
I am looking for new connections and further travels in 2014.
8. Are you an early bird or a night owl?
I am more of an early bird than a night owl.
9. What is your favourite band or music artist?
I always seem to have a new favourite but probably right now it is a tie between Capital Cities and Imagine Dragons.
10. Why Twitter?
Twitter has allowed me to make connections with like minded educators like my frequent collaborator and the person who nominated me-Dana.
11. Mac or PC? Android or iPhone?
I am currently a PC girl but looking into a Macbook Air. Phone wise I have an iPhone.
11 Questions For Me From Tanis
1. First memory of school?
Sadly, it is the one that turned me off of wanting to teach for awhile. In grade 3 I was in a class that wasn't the best behaved. I was one of the few well-behaved students and I got frustrated with my teacher being so strict and always being mad.
2. One thing to keep about current education system?
I think the move to be creative and critical thinkers is something we need to keep and push further forward.
3. One thing to change about current education system?
I think we need to move away from the need for testing (provincial/state testing).
4. Favourite site or app?
Kidblog.org is the best site/app.
5. Student who shifted your thinking?
Not really sure I have one other than a few students that shined when blogging and pushed me to advocate it more.
6. Leader who shifted your thinking?
I think a principal at another school in my district has influenced me to continue with my passion and the way I think as a teacher.
7. Coffee, tea, or water?
Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte.
8. Retirement dream?
To travel the world.
9. Next year dream?
School-Use more AR
10. Why blog?
To share my thoughts and views on education.
11. New year resolution?
To continue to share and make online contributions.
11 Questions For Whoever Wants to Share:
1. What is your ideal job in the education field?
2. Why did you choose to become a teacher?
3. What is your favourite subject to teach and why?
4. Why is being a connected educator important?
5. Favourite snack-chips or chocolate?
6. What is your favourite movie and why?
7. What is the best place you've visited?
8. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
9. What is your all time favourite book?
10. If you were stranded on a deserted island and could take three items, what three would you take?
11. Which educational leader(s) inspire you and why?